Please have the following information ready when you call the History Center Scheduling Office at 651-259-3400 or request a field trip time online:
- The specific program or programs you are selecting from the Museum Package or the Museum-Plus Package
- Name of teacher or other leader designated to receive confirmation materials and serve as group contact
- Lunch plans for your group
- Date and time you want to schedule your visit, with alternate dates
- School name, address, and phone number
- Grade level
- Number of students
- Number of chaperones
- Accommodations for special needs your group may require
You will be sent a confirmation after you schedule your History Center field trip.
Lunchroom spaces are limited and must be reserved in advance. Reservations will be made on a first come, first serve basis. There is no charge for use of the lunchroom.
- Multiple groups may share space in the lunchroom at one time.
- Lunch periods of 25 minutes are scheduled on the half hour, starting at 11 a.m. The last lunch period starts at 1:30 p.m.
- Students may also eat bag lunches outside on the Laura Jane Musser Plaza when weather permits. Food and beverages are not available for purchase in the MacMillan Education Center lunchroom. There are no vending machines on-site.
- Please call 651-259-3030 to purchase lunches from Café Minnesota, the restaurant in the History Center. See a menu of the box lunch.
GREAT CHAPERONES MAKE GREAT FIELD TRIPS!
One adult per five students admitted free during your History Center visit. We request that you bring one chaperone for every 5-7 students for grades K-6 and one chaperone for every 10 students for grades 7-12.
Chaperone Guide (PDF document). Print and copy for each chaperone.
Chaperone Letter. (Word document). Modify, print and copy to help chaperones prepare for their visit.
The History Center is accessible for all students. Please let us know, at least three weeks in advance, if you have students who will need auxiliary aids or services, including a sign language interpreter, while participating in History Center school programs. Wheelchairs are available on site for use during your visit. We also have a private space and restroom for diaper changing and tube feeding.
Other visitor amenities
SPACE IS LIMITED - CALL EARLY!
Please visit this page for more information on scheduling Grainland.
Grainland Exhibit information
After you schedule your field trip visit, you will be sent a confirmation. Check your e-mail for the following information:
- A letter of confirmation and an itemized program schedule
- A field-trip checklist with descriptions of the exhibits at the History Center
- Information about museum etiquette, drop-off and check-in instructions, bus parking, and an itinerary worksheet. These materials should be distributed to all chaperones.
- Chaperone Guide (PDF document) will be included in your packet to copy for all chaperones.
- Chaperone Letter (Word document) to share with chaperones about their visit to the History Center.
Please visit this page
for more information on scheduling a school group to the Minnesota Historical Society Library for 6th through 12th grade students.
Previewing the Exhibits For Free
To preview the exhibits free of charge before your school visit, teachers may show their school ID at the ticketing desk during regular museum hours.